“These lower ab workouts will make your invisible abs, hidden underneath a fat layer, more pronounced. And with resistance, you will be adding extra thickness and density to those abs.”
No wonder some people think they have to do a thousand crunches to have six-pack abs which are not true. James Gray from BPI Sports Training Facility stresses the fact that high reps don’t build your abs or burn belly fat rather you build your abs the same way you build any other body parts i.e. with resistance.
Before starting, it’s necessary to understand how your abs work. Your six-pack is made up of a muscle group called Rectus Abdominis which activates the curvature of the lower spine and the tilting of your pelvis. This muscle attaches at the bottom of the ribs- point A and top of the pubic bone-point B. It’s important to know that when abdominal muscle contracts, it shortens the distance between these two points. So, you should perform every exercise with the full range of motion to properly activate the abs muscles.
These lower ab workouts will make your invisible abs, hidden underneath a fat layer, more pronounced. And with resistance, you will be adding extra thickness and density to those abs.
Top Exercises For Lower Abs
Reverse Crunch is an effective core exercise that targets your rectus abdominis, also known as glamour muscles.
How to do Reverse Crunch?
- Start by lying on your back with your arms on the floor at your sides and your palms facing down.
- Bend your knees a little or a lot depending on how challenging you’d like to make and bring them towards your chest by contracting your abs.
- Roll your pelvis to lift your hips off the floor and raise your knees.
- Squeeze at the top position then slowly lower till your thighs are perpendicular to the ground.
- [Extra Tips]: To intensify this lower abs workout, you can add an isometric basic crunch. To do that, place your hands behind your head with elbows slightly in. Lift your shoulders off the ground and hold in that position. Then draw the leg in and up into the reverse crunch. Perform several repetitions with your upper body frozen.
Mountain climber is one of the best abs exercises which will also strengthen your core muscles because it is initiated from the plank position. Moreover, your shoulders and triceps will also be working for stabilization isometrically. It involves pretty fast movements that become your cardiovascular workout too.
How to do Mountain Climber?
- Start in a plank position — shoulders over hands and weight on just your toes.
- Bring your right knee forward under your chest, with the toes just off the ground. Make sure you engage your core.
- Return to your initial plank position.
- Again repeat the same bringing the left knee forward.
- Keep switching legs and sides and begin to pick up the pace until it feels a little like running in place in a plank position.
- Continue “running” in your plank for one minute.
This one is the most effective and primarily lower abdomen exercise.
How to do Scissors?
- Start by lying on your back with your arms on the floor at your sides and your palms facing down. You can also place palms underneath your glutes.
- Extend both legs and lift your legs above the floor.
- Move the legs in and out alternately. You can do the alternate up and down movement too.
- Keep your knees bent slightly so that your back does not get pressurized.
“The dead bug exercise is a safe and effective way to strengthen and stabilize your core, spine, and back muscles.”, says Healthline.comThis workout for abs is most specifically performed by runners to target the trunk muscles. (erector spinae, obliques, rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis) which together provide a strong base for our moving limbs so we can maintain good form whilst running.
How to do Dead Bug workout?
- Lying on your back, bring your arms straight above your head perpendicular to the ground along with your knees and hips both at 90 degrees angles.
- Start by lowering the left arms and extending the right leg. Both stopping just before touching the ground.
- Return to your starting position.
- Throughout the movement maintain the position of the opposite arm and leg. Keep your core tight throughout the motion.
- Relax for a moment before tightening again.
Medicine ball jackknife
This workout targets both lower abs and upper abs. At the same time, it is a great workout for shoulders and hip flexors. Performing this abs workout in proper form will surely help you increase core stability and add thickness to the abs.
How to do medicine ball jackknife?According to Skimble.com, this workout is best performed by:-
- Lie flat on your back with legs straight and hold a medicine ball with both hands, and extend your arms past your head.
- Tighten abs and bring your legs and arms up to form a V.
- Try to touch the ball with your feet.
- Hold for one count and return to the starting position.
Lying Leg Raises
Lying leg raises is a core exercise that targets your rectus abdominis and adductors.
How to do Lying Leg Raises?
- Lie on your back, legs straight and together.
- Keep your legs straight and lift them all the way up to the ceiling until your butt comes off the floor.
- Slowly lower your legs back down till they’re just above the floor. Hold for a moment.
- Raise your legs back up. Repeat.
Last but not least, this is the most strenuous and effective lower abs workout that will burn your belly. Although hand muscles are involved in this workout, it primarily targets your lower abs.
How to do Air Sprints?
- Lift yourself up using bars like that while doing bar dips.
- Elevate your feet off the ground and remain in an upright position.
- Slightly leaning forward, drive your knees up to the air until they are parallel to the floor and act as if you are doing an upright mountain climber.
- Create a curvature in your abdomen and engage that lower abs muscles.
Thus, these seven abs workouts are best for developing your lower abs. Perform these top exercises for lower abs by adding them in your abs workout routine and follow strict disciplines on diet and lifestyle, those abs are not that hard to show up.